Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Drone Talk Hub - The Ultimate Drone Community Hub

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (?) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

got offered a staff pilot position — has anyone done in-house vs staying freelance

  • Members

kind of a weird position to be in honestly. been freelancing for a while and a construction and infrastructure company reached out through linkedin of all places and they want someone on staff basically full time. theyd own the equipment which is actually appealing because my mavic setup isnt really ideal for the kind of mapping they need anyway. salary would be decent, not amazing, benefits obviously which i dont have right now.

the thing giving me pause is that ive gotten pretty used to setting my own schedule and taking the jobs i want. and some months freelancing i make more than what theyd be paying. but then some months are really slow and its stressful. i honestly cant decide if the stability would feel like a relief or would drive me crazy after a while. anyone been in a similar spot or made this kind of call before

  • Replies 1
  • Views 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Helpful Posts

  • TechFlyer_99
    TechFlyer_99

    I went in-house for about 18 months with an energy company doing transmission line inspections and I have mixed feelings looking back. The work itself was interesting and I learned a ton about LiDAR a

  • altitude_king
    altitude_king

    the benefits thing is underrated tbh. health insurance alone when youre freelance is kind of a nightmare depending on where you live. i'd probably take the staff job personally, especially if they're

Solved by altitude_king

Featured Replies

  • Members

I went in-house for about 18 months with an energy company doing transmission line inspections and I have mixed feelings looking back. The work itself was interesting and I learned a ton about LiDAR and actual survey-grade workflows that I never would have touched freelancing. But yeah, you lose a lot of the flexibility and there were definitely stretches where I was basically just waiting around for weather windows and it felt like a waste of time.

I think it really depends on where you are in terms of skills. If the company is doing serious inspection or mapping work, the in-house stint can be really worth it just to build your technical chops. Then you can go back to freelancing but at a higher tier of work. That's kind of what I did and it worked out, but I also got lucky that my manager was decent and didnt micromanage the flying side of things.

  • Members
  • Solution

the benefits thing is underrated tbh. health insurance alone when youre freelance is kind of a nightmare depending on where you live. i'd probably take the staff job personally, especially if they're doing infrastructure stuff — that experience looks good on paper when you eventually go back out on your own

  • Guest unlocked, unpinned, locked and pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions ? Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.