Getting My Head Around FAA Rules: What I've Learned So Far
· tech_pilot_pro · 08/16/2026 11:53 PM
Starting Point: I Didn't Even Know What I Was Doing Was Regulated
I know, I know. But I think a lot of hobbyist pilots are in this same boat. When I bought my Mavic I kind of just... flew it. Registered it on the FAA DroneZone site because DJI's app told me I had to, slapped the registration number on the body, and figured I was good. Turns out there's a lot more to it than that.
The first thing I really had to understand was the difference between recreational flying and commercial flying. If you're flying purely for fun, with no intention of making money or using the footage professionally, you fall under the Exception for Recreational Flyers, which is covered under Section 44809 of the FAA Reauthorization Act. Under that, you still have to register your drone if it weighs over 0.55 lbs, fly within community-based safety guidelines, and stay away from controlled airspace without authorization. But you don't need a Part 107 certificate.
The moment you start making money — even selling a single photo — you're operating commercially and you need Part 107. That was a bit of a wake-up call because I had sold a couple of aerial shots to a neighbor for like thirty bucks before I knew any of this.
What Part 107 Actually Covers
Part 107 is the FAA's rule set for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems, which means drones under 55 lbs. To fly commercially you need to pass the Aeronautical Knowledge Test at an FAA-approved testing center. It costs $175 and covers stuff like airspace classification, weather, emergency procedures, radio communication, and loading and performance. There's a lot of aviation fundamentals in there that I had zero background in.
I've been studying using the FAA's free study guide and a few practice test sites. The airspace stuff was the hardest part for me to wrap my head around at first. Class G is uncontrolled and generally where recreational and commercial drone ops happen below 400 feet. Class B, C, D, and E airspace have various levels of control and you need authorization to fly in them. Class A starts at 18,000 feet so that's not really a drone concern.
For getting authorization in controlled airspace, there's a system called LAANC — Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability. It's actually pretty slick. Apps like AirMap or even DJI Fly integrate with it, and in a lot of areas you can get near-instant authorization to fly at certain altitudes in controlled airspace. I've used it a handful of times already as a recreational flyer because there's a small regional airport about 6 miles from my usual flying spot and some of that airspace dips down into where I fly.
Remote ID — The Part That Confuses Everyone
Remote ID is relatively new and there's still a lot of confusion in the community about it. The rule went into full enforcement in March 2024. Basically, drones are now required to broadcast identification and location information during flight — kind of like a digital license plate. This can happen one of two ways: your drone has built-in Remote ID capability, or you attach a broadcast module to a drone that doesn't have it built in.
Most drones manufactured in the last couple of years have it built in. My Mavic Air 2 does not, so I'd technically need a Remote ID module if I want to fly it at non-FAA-recognized identification areas (RFIAs). Those are specific locations — usually flying clubs or fields — where you can fly without Remote ID as long as you stay within the FRIA boundaries. There's a FRIA near me run by an RC club which is great, but it limits where I can go.
I've been looking at Remote ID modules. DJI makes one for around $65. There are also third-party options. It's not a huge deal to add but it's an extra step that a lot of casual flyers probably don't know about yet.
Flight Restrictions I Had to Learn the Hard Way (Almost)
I came close to flying somewhere I absolutely should not have. I was scouting a location near what looked like an empty field on Google Maps, showed up, and pulled out my phone to check the airspace and realized I was about a mile from a temporary flight restriction that had been set up for a public event. TFRs can pop up with relatively short notice and they're not always obvious unless you're actively checking.
Apps like from the FAA, Aloft, and AirMap all pull in TFR data and I now check at least two of them before I go anywhere. The FAA's own website also has a TFR listing but it's not the most user-friendly thing in the world. Checking airspace before every flight sounds like extra work but honestly it takes about two minutes and it's just part of the pre-flight routine now.
Other no-fly zones to be aware of: National Parks (drones are banned in most of them without a special permit), some state parks, Washington DC has a massive no-drone zone that extends 30 miles in some directions, and areas around stadiums during events have TFRs that kick in automatically.
Where I'm At Now
I've got my Part 107 test scheduled for next month. I feel like I'm about 70% ready. The weather section is where I need the most work — I can identify a METAR now which I absolutely could not do two months ago, but I'm still shaky on some of the cloud ceiling and visibility minimums for different airspace classes.
My plan after I pass is to start doing some local real estate photography on a freelance basis. Nothing huge, just getting some experience and building a portfolio. The regulation knowledge honestly makes me feel more confident about the whole thing, not less. Like yes, there are rules, but they're mostly there for good reasons and understanding them means I'm not going to accidentally get myself or anyone else into a bad situation.
If you're in a similar spot — thinking about going from hobbyist to something more serious — I'd say just start with the FAA's own materials. They're dense but they're accurate. And actually look at your local airspace. You might be surprised what's around you.
I'll post an update after I take the test. Fingers crossed.
- Read more...
- 0 comments
- 128 views
-