What Nearly Ruined My Third Flight (And What I Do Differently Now)
· skyline_pilot · 08/16/2026 11:51 PM
What Happened
I drove out to an open area near a reservoir — no people, no buildings nearby, totally legal airspace, I'd checked on and everything looked fine. Weather app said partly cloudy with winds around 8 mph. Fine, right? I'd flown in 8 mph winds before with no issues.
What I didn't do was check the wind at altitude. I just checked the surface wind on my phone. The Mini 3 started climbing and at about 90 feet it started drifting pretty hard. The aircraft was working to compensate and I could see it struggling on the controller display. I brought it back down and landed. No crash, no damage, but my heart was beating fast. I was lucky.
When I got home I looked up what was going on that day meteorologically and there had been wind shear — calmer near the surface but significantly higher winds up at 100-200 feet. My little consumer drone was not happy about that.
The Weather Check I Do Now
This is probably the thing I've changed the most. I now use at least two weather sources before any flight. Windy.com has become my favorite because you can actually set the altitude layer and see wind speed and direction at different heights. It's not perfect but it's way better than just checking your phone's weather app which basically gives you surface conditions.
I also check the UAV Forecast app which aggregates a bunch of factors — wind, visibility, cloud ceiling, KP index for interference — and gives you a quick go/no-go rating. I don't blindly trust the rating but it's a useful gut check. If it says "don't fly" and I disagree, I at least have to ask myself why I disagree.
Even then I've started doing a quick hover at about 30 feet before committing to a full flight. Just hover for 30 seconds, see how the aircraft feels, watch the telemetry. If the drone is fighting to hold position or I'm seeing weird compass readings, I'm landing and going home.
The Pre-Flight Checklist Thing
I used to think pre-flight checklists were for people flying commercial aircraft, not guys flying hobby drones at a park. I was wrong. I actually wrote mine out on my phone in the Notes app and I go through it before every flight now. It takes maybe 4 minutes and has already caught stuff.
Some of what's on it:
Gimbal protector removed (I forgot this once, flew for two minutes before I realized — footage was a gray blur) Props inspected for chips or cracks Props fully locked in — I wiggle each one Battery charged and seated — I push it until I hear the click SD card inserted Controller charged DJI Fly app updated and loaded before I leave the house Compass calibration if I'm at a new location Home point confirmed on screen after GPS lock The gimbal protector thing embarrasses me but I'm leaving it on the list because apparently it's more common than people admit based on the forums I've read.
Battery Safety Is Real
I got a little casual about batteries for a while. Charged one the night before, threw it in my bag in the morning, flew. No big deal. But I've been reading more about LiPo battery safety and I've adjusted some habits.
I don't leave batteries fully charged for more than a day before flying. If I charged them and then a session gets cancelled because of weather or something, I'll either do a short flight to bring them down or use the DJI app to set them to storage mode discharge. Full charge sitting in a hot car or a bag stresses the cells over time.
I also don't charge right after flying anymore. I let the batteries cool down for at least 20-30 minutes first. And I charge them in my living room where I can keep an eye on them, not in my car or a closet. This might sound paranoid but LiPo fires are real and while they're not common with newer smart batteries, they're not zero risk either.
One more thing — I watch the battery percentage way more carefully than I used to. DJI's return-to-home warnings are conservative for a reason. When it hits 30% I'm thinking about coming in. When it hits 25% I'm actively returning. Flying to 10% or below is just not worth it especially in any kind of wind or if I'm any distance from home point.
Thinking About What Could Go Wrong
Before I take off anywhere new I try to spend 60 seconds just scanning the area and asking myself: if the drone suddenly lost signal or had a flyaway right now, where would it go? Is there a road, a building, people? What's my return-to-home altitude set to — will it clear obstacles? Where's the wind taking it if power fails?
Most of the time this quick mental scan doesn't uncover anything alarming. But it gets me thinking in the right mode before I'm in the air. I also make sure I know where the emergency stop function is in the app before every single flight. I've never had to use it but my brain needs to know where it is so that if something goes sideways I'm not fumbling around while the aircraft does something bad.
Why I'm Writing About This
Honestly I'm writing this partly to sort through my own thinking and partly because when I was starting out I found the safety content a little overwhelming or preachy — lots of "always do this, never do that" without much context for why. My hope is that sharing an actual moment where things went sideways is more useful than a generic tips list.
I'm still pretty new at this. Four months in, maybe 25-30 hours of flight time across a bunch of different locations. I don't have it all figured out and I'm still learning every time I go out. But I'm flying more carefully than I was on flight three and the hobby is more enjoyable because of it, not less. Knowing your equipment, knowing your conditions, having a plan — it's not about being paranoid. It just means you can actually focus on the fun parts when you're up in the air.
If you've had a similar near-miss or something that changed how you fly, I'd genuinely like to hear about it in the comments. This stuff is useful to share.
- Read more...
- 0 comments
- 77 views
-