Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Drone Talk Hub - The Ultimate Drone Community Hub

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (?) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Alex Turner

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Alex Turner

  1. Quick backstory: I've been flying a 5-inch freestyle build for about six months now. Nothing fancy, just a solid little quad I put together from a kit that a friend helped me spec out. Last month I clipped a tree branch on a low pass and one of my motors started making this horrible grinding noise. Throttle response felt wrong too — kind of mushy on that corner. I knew the motor was toast but I kept putting off the fix because, honestly, motor swaps seemed intimidating to me. Figuring Out What I Actually Needed First problem: I didn't even know exactly what motor I had. Embarrassing, right? I had to pull up my build notes (thank god I kept a note on my phone) to figure out I was running 2306 2450KV motors. The KV rating matters way more than I realized at first. I originally thought "oh I'll just grab any 2306 and it'll be fine" — nope. If you mix KV ratings on a build, your quad is going to fly weird because the motors aren't all producing the same thrust response. Learned that from a forum post after I almost ordered the wrong ones. I ended up getting a replacement from a smaller online retailer instead of going with one of the big names, mostly because they had the exact spec in stock and the price was reasonable. Paid around $18 for the motor, which felt right for a mid-range option. Some of the premium motors run $30-40 each and at this stage of my hobby life I'm not ready to drop that on something I might crash again in a week. The Actual Swap — Where It Got Messy Okay so here's where I made my first mistake. I assumed I could just unplug the old motor, unscrew it, screw the new one in, and plug it back up. The physical part? Yeah, that went fine. Four M3 screws, motor off, new motor on. Easy. The wiring is where I got confused. Brushless motors have three wires coming out of them — A, B, and C phase — and there's no "positive" and "negative" like with a simple DC motor. The order you connect those three wires to your ESC determines which direction the motor spins. I did not think about this at all. I just matched colors (black to black, etc.) and figured it would work out. First test: motor spins backwards. Of course it does. To fix the direction you can either swap any two of the three motor wires physically, OR if you're running BLHeli_32 or BLHeliSuite-compatible ESCs, you can just reverse the motor direction in software. My ESCs are BLHeli_S, so I used BLHeliSuite to flip it without touching the solder joints. That part actually worked out great once I figured out how to connect to the ESCs through my flight controller over USB. If you haven't played around in BLHeliSuite yet, it's worth learning — you can set timing, motor direction, and a bunch of other stuff from your laptop. Checking Everything Before Flying Once the motor was spinning the right direction, I went into Betaflight (I'm running Betaflight 4.4 on an F7 flight controller) and did a motor test. This is something I should have been doing all along honestly — you can spin each motor individually from the Motors tab to verify direction and make sure nothing sounds wrong. All four checked out. Good sign. I also checked my propellers while I had the quad on the bench. Two of them had pretty visible nicks from the crash and I just swapped them out for fresh ones. Props are cheap and the difference a good set makes is noticeable. I've been running 5x4.3x3 triblade props and they've been working well for how I fly. One thing I want to mention because it tripped me up: prop direction matters and it has to match motor direction. There are "normal" and "reverse" rotation props — the props are shaped with a slight twist and that twist has to match which way the motor is spinning or you won't generate proper thrust. This is printed on the props usually (CW or CCW) but the labeling can be confusing at first. The Test Flight I took it out to a field near my house — open grass, nothing around — did a quick hover check a few feet up. Quad felt balanced, no weird oscillations, no toilet bowling. Then I punched it a bit and everything felt right. Honestly a huge relief. There's this specific anxiety of doing your first real repair and not knowing if you got it right until you actually fly, and it was bugging me the whole drive over. The motor runs warm after a hard session but not hot, which is normal. If a motor is too hot to touch after flying you've got a problem — either it's underrated for your prop/battery combo, or something's wrong internally. What I'd Do Differently Honestly not much, but here's what I'd tell myself from two weeks ago: Write down your build specs somewhere before you need them in a panic. Motor model, KV, ESC model, flight controller, firmware version — all of it. I used Google Keep but anything works. Don't just color-match motor wires. Decide which direction you want each motor to spin based on your flight controller's motor layout diagram (Betaflight has this in the documentation and it's also displayed in the configurator), then use BLHeli or swap wires to get there. It's not hard once you understand what you're doing. Buy a spare motor or two when you buy the ones for your build. Having a matching replacement on the shelf would have saved me a week of waiting for shipping. And finally — do a motor test on the bench every single time before you fly after any repair. It takes two minutes and it's just good practice. Anyway, that's my first real repair breakdown. I know it's pretty basic stuff for the experienced folks here, but if you're new like me and nervous about doing your first motor swap, hopefully this helps make it feel a little less scary. It really is doable. I'm already looking forward to the next time something breaks — which, knowing how I fly, shouldn't be too long from now.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions ? Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.