Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Drone Talk Hub - The Ultimate Drone Community Hub

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (?) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jennifer Martinez

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jennifer Martinez

  1. Some background: I've been flying a Betaflight-flashed Eachine Wizard for about a year, which is a fine little quad but I bought it pre-built and never really understood what was going on inside it. I wanted to actually build something from scratch so I could stop being helpless every time something went wrong. That goal was achieved. I am no longer helpless. I am just confused in new and more specific ways. What I Ended Up Buying I went back and forth on the frame forever. I almost pulled the trigger on a Diatone or a TBS Source One, but I ended up with the IFlight Nazgul Evoque F5 frame because someone in the Discord I'm in said it was beginner-friendly for building and the arms are replaceable without pulling the whole thing apart. That last part turned out to be relevant. More on that in a minute. Here's the parts list I ended up with after way too many Reddit threads: Frame: IFlight Nazgul Evoque F5 (true X layout) Flight Controller: SpeedyBee F405 V3 stack (FC + 4-in-1 ESC combo) Motors: Emax ECO II 2306 2400KV Props: HQProp 5x4.3x3 (came with a bag of four, broke one on day one) VTX: Rush Tank Ultimate (I maybe overkilled this but I wanted range) Camera: Runcam Phoenix 2 Receiver: ExpressLRS via a BetaFPV SuperD diversity receiver Battery: Two CNHL 1550mAh 6S packs Total came out to just under $340 not counting the radio and goggles I already owned. That's probably average for a first serious build? I honestly don't know. It felt like a lot when I was clicking buy on everything but it also felt worth it. The Soldering Situation This is where things got humbling fast. I have a cheap Hakko clone iron that I've used for hobby stuff before, so I figured I was fine. I was not fine at first. The solder pads on the ESC board are smaller than I expected, and my first attempt at tinning the battery leads looked like something a raccoon did. I watched a video from Joshua Bardwell about soldering drone components specifically and that helped a lot — his tip about using flux paste even when your solder has flux in it already was something I didn't know and made a real difference. I burned through one of the ESC motor pads on my first attempt. Not all the way through, but I lifted a little bit of it and panicked completely. Ended up using a tiny bit of thin wire soldered to the pad trace as a workaround and it actually works fine, but that 45 minutes of panic was not fun. My iron was running too hot and I was holding it in one spot too long. Once I dropped the temp a little and worked faster it was way cleaner. The worst part of soldering was the capacitor leads. The legs are so short and the cap is so close to everything else. I got it done but I'm not proud of how it looks. Functional, not pretty. Wiring and Stacking The SpeedyBee stack is honestly great for a beginner because it uses plugs for most connections instead of soldering everything direct. The motor phase wires still need to be soldered but everything else — the VTX, camera, receiver — uses JST or little ribbon connectors. That was a relief. I spent probably two hours just figuring out cable routing so nothing was going to get into the props or pinched by the stack when I tightened everything down. I used a combination of zip ties and some silicone wire loom I had leftover from a car audio project years ago. Looks a little janky in spots but it's secure. I've already seen it take a crash and nothing came loose so I'll take it. Betaflight Setup This took longer than the physical build. I'm not joking. Betaflight Configurator is not unfriendly exactly but there's a LOT going on and I spent a whole evening just figuring out which UART my receiver was on and why it wasn't showing up in the Receiver tab. Turns out I had the serial port set right but forgot to actually enable Serial RX on that UART. Classic. I used a preset from the Betaflight presets tab for my motor config and then just started with stock PIDs. Everyone says don't try to tune until you've flown it and I'm taking that advice. I set up my rates by copying a profile I saw posted by someone whose flying style looked similar to what I want to do, which is just general freestyle, nothing crazy. Adjusted failsafe to drop mode because that feels safer for where I'm flying (open field, no people around). Motor direction: took me embarrassingly long to realize one of mine was reversed. Props off, motors tab in Betaflight, fixed it. Easy when you know where to look. First Flight I did props-off motor checks first, then a quick hover in my backyard just a couple feet off the ground. Everything spun up, the quad leveled, ELRS link was solid. I was shaking a little. Then I went to the field. First punch out I gave it too much throttle because I forget that 6S hits different from my old 4S Wizard. It shot up and I immediately rolled into a bando wall. Broke an arm. Which is why the replaceable arm thing was important. I had spare arms because I read someone say to order two extra sets and I'm very glad I listened to that advice. After swapping the arm (which took like ten minutes, super easy on this frame), I flew more cautiously and had a genuinely great time. It's smooth, it's powerful, and I built the thing myself which makes it feel completely different to fly. What I'd Do Differently Buy a proper flux pen from the start. Don't cheap out on solder — I bought Kester 63/37 after my first session and it's so much nicer to work with than the random spool I had. Take photos of your wiring at every stage so if something goes wrong later you know what was where. And honestly, don't rush the Betaflight setup. I rushed it and paid for it in time later. I'm already thinking about what I want to build next. Probably something smaller, like a 3-inch toothpick style for flying in tighter spots. But first I need to actually get good at flying this one. More updates to come.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions ? Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.