Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Drone Talk Hub - The Ultimate Drone Community Hub

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (?) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

drone_pilot_87

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by drone_pilot_87

  1. I'm flying a DJI Mini 3 Pro, which I know isn't the most beastly camera drone out there but for where I'm at it's plenty to work with. The 1/1.3-inch sensor is decent and it shoots in RAW which turned out to be really important for this whole experiment. The Location and Timing I drove out to a reservoir about 45 minutes from my house. Nothing Instagram-famous or anything, just a spot I'd seen from the road a few times and thought looked interesting. There's a dam on one end, some rolling hills, and a little patch of pine trees that kind of juts out into the water. I checked PhotoPills the night before to figure out exactly when golden hour would hit and where the sun would be. That app is genuinely useful if you haven't tried it — it shows you the sun position overlaid on a map so you can plan your shot angles ahead of time instead of just guessing when you get there. I got to the spot about 40 minutes before sunset. That gave me time to walk around a bit, find where I wanted to launch from, and just get a feel for the area. Wind was light, maybe 8 mph from the southwest, which was totally manageable. Camera Settings — This is Where I Struggled Okay so I'll be honest, my camera settings have been kind of a disaster in the past. I was mostly shooting in Auto and telling myself I'd fix it in post. That works okay sometimes but you lose a lot of control and the files aren't as good as they could be. This time I switched everything to manual. Here's roughly what I ended up with after some trial and error in the field: ISO: Started at 100, bumped to 200 as the light dropped Shutter speed: 1/500 at first, then down to 1/250 as it got darker Aperture: f/2.8 (the Mini 3 Pro has a variable aperture and I find f/2.8 gives me the most usable light without too much diffraction) White balance: Set manually to around 5600K and adjusted it once when the sky started going more orange Shot format: RAW+JPEG so I had a backup to compare against The thing I kept messing up was the exposure. I was so worried about blowing out the sky that I was underexposing the foreground. Some of my shots had this really dark water that just looked muddy. I started using the histogram more instead of just eyeballing the screen, which helped a lot. The screen on the Mini 3 Pro is pretty good but it's still hard to judge exposure accurately outside. Filters — Did I Even Need Them? I bought a set of ND filters a couple months ago (a third-party brand, nothing fancy, like 35 bucks on Amazon) and I've barely used them. I brought them out this time because I'd read that ND filters help during golden hour to slow your shutter down and get a more cinematic look, even for stills. I tried the ND16 for a few shots. It let me drop to around 1/60 shutter which was slower than I expected to use for stills. Some shots came out slightly motion-blurred on the ripples in the water, which I actually kind of liked. Others looked just soft in a bad way. I ended up going back to no filter for most of the session because the light was dropping fast and I didn't want to be fumbling with filters when the best colors were hitting. Honestly I think filters are more useful for video or for shooting in really bright midday sun. For golden hour stills where you're working fast and the light is changing every two minutes, I found it easier to just adjust settings manually and skip the filter. Composition Stuff This is the part I'm still weakest at. I tend to default to just hovering and pointing the gimbal straight down, which can look cool sometimes but gets repetitive fast. I made myself try different angles this time. The Mini 3 Pro has that upward-tilting camera which I've almost never used — I tried pointing it forward at a low altitude, like 30 feet off the water, and flying slowly toward the tree peninsula. That gave me this really dramatic low perspective that I haven't gotten before. The reflection in the water came out really well in a couple of those frames. I also tried the classic rule of thirds stuff, keeping the horizon on the upper third to emphasize the reflection. That worked better than centering it, at least for this spot. And I flew a bit to the side to get the dam in the background of one shot instead of always having it dead center. Small thing but it made the photo more interesting to look at. Editing — Lightroom on the Laptop Got home and pulled the RAW files into Lightroom. This is where shooting RAW really paid off. A few shots that looked kind of flat on the controller screen had way more color information in the RAW file than I expected. I was able to bring up the shadows on the foreground without the sky falling apart, which would have been impossible with JPEG. My basic edit on the best shots: Pulled highlights down quite a bit to recover the sky Lifted shadows on the water and trees Added some warmth to the white balance — the camera setting was close but the RAW file let me nudge it further toward that golden tone Texture and clarity bumped slightly to bring out the tree detail Dropped the dehaze slider a little bit — I sometimes see people crank dehaze and it makes shots look crunchy and weird I did not go crazy with saturation. I see a lot of drone shots online where the colors look like a cartoon and I'm trying to avoid that. I want it to look like a really good version of what was actually there, not like I applied some wild preset. What I'd Do Differently Get there even earlier. The 40 minutes of prep time was fine but I would have liked to scout flight paths more carefully before the good light started. I wasted probably 10 minutes of golden hour just repositioning because I hadn't planned my shots well enough. Also I want to try a CPL filter next time to reduce the glare on the water — I've heard those make a real difference for reflections and I'm curious to try it. Overall though I'm genuinely happy with how a few of these shots came out. Like, I'd actually put one of them on my wall. That hasn't happened before. Still a long way to go but it felt like real progress and I'm already thinking about where to go next weekend. If you're also learning aerial photography and want to swap notes or whatever, feel free to drop a comment. I don't have all the answers obviously but it's nice to talk through this stuff with people who are actually doing it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions ? Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.