Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Drone Talk Hub - The Ultimate Drone Community Hub

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (?) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

mavic_enthusiast

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mavic_enthusiast

  1. Instead of just ordering parts and getting back out there immediately, I made myself a deal. I wasn't going to fly the real quad again until I felt genuinely comfortable in the sim. Not just "I can hover and do a few rolls" comfortable. Like, actually comfortable. Smooth inputs, consistent lines, not white-knuckling every banked turn. So I loaded up Velocidrone and started putting in time almost every evening. Why Velocidrone Specifically I know a lot of people swear by Liftoff or even the DRL simulator, and I tried both. Liftoff honestly looks prettier and the environments are more fun visually, but the physics felt a little floaty to me when I compared it to how my actual quad behaves. Velocidrone felt closer to what I was experiencing on my Betaflight setup — the way it responds to throttle, the way it drops when you chop it, the general snappiness. It's not perfect obviously but it was close enough that muscle memory started carrying over in a way that felt real. I set my controller rates in Velocidrone to match my actual Betaflight rates as closely as the sim would allow. I run around 700 degrees per second on pitch and roll with a fairly low center expo, maybe 0.15 — I wanted to build precision before I started chasing the acro freestyle stuff. That part matters a lot and I don't think I understood it the first time around. Flying the sim on default rates and then jumping to your actual quad with completely different rates basically means you're learning two different things at once. What Three Weeks Actually Looked Like Week one was humbling. I kept overrotating rolls, I was choppy on throttle during anything resembling a split-S, and my lines around objects were inconsistent. But I forced myself to pick one specific track or one specific area of a free-roam map and just fly it over and over. I found this one map with a warehouse interior and I made myself do a consistent lap route probably fifty times in a sitting. Boring, yeah. But boring was kind of the point. Week two things started clicking a little more. I was getting smoother on the throttle — which is honestly the thing nobody tells you enough about FPV. Everyone focuses on roll and pitch rates and flip tricks but throttle management is where smooth flying actually lives. I started being able to hold altitude through a banked turn without thinking about it consciously. That's a big deal when you're learning. Week three I started trying some basic freestyle elements. Nothing crazy — just trying to link a roll into a split-S, holding inverted for a second or two, doing some basic proximity stuff around the virtual pillars and obstacles. I still wasn't clean but I was safe. I wasn't panic-crashing every five minutes. The Betaflight Piece I Was Ignoring Here's the thing I also had to admit to myself during this sim stretch: my tune on the actual quad was probably not great and I had been blaming my own skill for things that might have partially been a filtering or PID issue. My motors were running warm after even shortish packs, which is a sign something's off — either the D term is too high or the filtering isn't where it should be. I'd just been accepting it as "that's just how it is" because I was too new to know the difference. I spent a couple evenings watching Joshua Bardwell's Betaflight tuning videos — specifically the ones walking through what blackbox logs should actually look like and how to read P and D oscillations. I don't have a blackbox logger on this particular build so I'm working a bit blind, but just understanding what the tune is supposed to be doing helped me make some adjustments. I dropped D term a little on both pitch and roll, bumped filtering slightly, and made a mental note that my next build is going to have blackbox from the start. That stuff is not optional if you actually want to dial things in properly. Getting Back on the Real Quad After three weeks I took the repaired quad out to an open grass field — not the skate park, I'm not ready to be humbled like that again — and flew a few packs. And honestly? It felt better than before the crash. Not because I suddenly had skills I didn't have, but because I wasn't panicking. I was smoother. The inputs I was putting in felt more intentional and less like I was just reacting and hoping for the best. I'm still nowhere near the guys you see throwing big tricks on YouTube. That's going to take a long time and I'm fine with that now. But I'm not eating concrete walls anymore either, which feels like progress. One thing I'll say to anyone else who's in that awkward middle zone — past pure beginner but nowhere near intermediate — is don't skip the sim time just because you have a real quad sitting there. It's tempting. The real thing is obviously more exciting. But the sim is where you can fail a hundred times in a row for free and walk away having actually learned something. Every crash in the real world costs you money and potentially a flight session while you wait for parts. Every crash in the sim costs you absolutely nothing except maybe a little pride. I've got about four packs of flight time logged since coming back and I'm building from there. Next thing I want to work on is actually getting comfortable with longer inverted flight — I can hold it for a second or two now but it still doesn't feel natural. Back to the sim for that one, probably. Then out to the field to try it for real. That's the loop I'm committing to. If you're grinding through the same stuff, feel free to drop a comment. Always curious what sims other people are using and how you're setting up your rates. This stuff is way more fun when you're comparing notes with people in the same boat.
  2. Fair warning: this is going to be pretty specific to shooting with the Mavic 3, which is what I'm running. Some of this will apply broadly but the menu stuff and some of the sensor quirks are going to be very specific to that camera system. The Problem With Golden Hour Nobody Talks About Everyone says "fly at golden hour, it's magic, the light is perfect." And yeah, okay, the light is beautiful. But here's the thing — golden hour lasts maybe 20 to 40 minutes depending on your location and the time of year, and you're going to spend at least 5 of those minutes getting your drone in the air, oriented, and finding a composition. So you're already down to maybe 30 minutes of actual shooting time, and the light is changing the entire time you're up there. My first dozen or so attempts at golden hour shooting looked terrible because I set my exposure once when I launched and then just left it. By the time I got to my third or fourth shot, the light had shifted, the histogram was blown out in some spots, and the shadows had gone all muddy. Total mess. What actually helped: I started shooting in manual exposure mode and making small adjustments every few minutes. I'll bump my ISO or adjust shutter speed while hovering, take a test shot, check the histogram on the RC screen, and then keep going. It's slower but the results are way more consistent. My Actual Settings Starting Point I always shoot in D-Log M on the Mavic 3 now, even for stills. I know some people think that's overkill for JPEG shooters but I'm shooting RAW so it makes sense for me. The extra dynamic range during that high-contrast golden hour window is genuinely useful when the sun is still partially above the horizon and you've got dark foreground elements. Starting exposure when the sun is maybe 10-15 degrees above the horizon: ISO 100 Shutter speed around 1/200 to 1/400 depending on how much I want to freeze motion in the clouds or water Aperture at f/4 or f/5.6 — I've found f/2.8 on this camera introduces some softness at the corners that bugs me in landscape shots White balance locked manually, usually somewhere between 4800K and 5600K depending on how warm the light already is I lock white balance manually because auto white balance will shift between frames and then you end up with a series of shots where the sky color is slightly different in each one, which is a nightmare if you're trying to put together any kind of sequence or panorama. Filters — Yes, Actually Worth It I resisted buying ND filters for a long time because I thought they were kind of a gimmick and the Mavic already has decent dynamic range. I was wrong. I picked up a set of Freewell magnetic ND filters a few months back and they've changed how I shoot. For golden hour stills I mostly use an ND8 or ND16. The ND16 lets me drop my shutter speed down to 1/60 or so, which gives any water in the frame a slight silky look without going full long-exposure mode. It also just lets me keep ISO at 100 in conditions where I'd otherwise have to stop down to f/8 or f/11, which gets into diffraction softness territory. Putting the filters on while the drone is hovering is awkward and I don't recommend it. I swap filters on the ground before launch if I think I know what the light will be. If I'm wrong and I land to swap, that's fine. It's just part of the process now. Composition Is Where I Still Mess Up The Most I've gotten better at settings but composition is honestly still where I leave the most on the table. The tendency when you have a drone is to just go really high and get a wide view of everything, which looks cool in the moment but often results in images that don't have a clear subject. I've been forcing myself to fly lower and look for leading lines — roads, rivers, fence lines, shorelines — and position the camera so the line pulls through the frame toward whatever the main subject is. The other thing I've been working on is not always shooting straight down or straight ahead. Tilting the gimbal to around minus 30 or minus 45 degrees and finding a composition at that angle has given me some of my favorite shots. You get the aerial perspective but you still have a sense of depth and sky, which I think is more interesting than pure nadir shots most of the time. I've also started using the grid overlay in the DJI fly app more consistently to actually apply rule of thirds instead of just centering everything. Sounds basic but I was definitely not doing this as carefully as I should have been. Editing — What's Actually Helped I edit in Lightroom Classic. Nothing exotic. For golden hour RAW files shot in D-Log M I usually pull the highlights down pretty aggressively first, like minus 60 to minus 80, and lift the shadows a bit to see what's actually there. Then I work on the tone curve to add some contrast back in a more controlled way. The sky during golden hour is almost always going to have a warm/cool gradient that I want to either preserve or slightly exaggerate. I'll use the masking tools to select the sky separately and push the blues just slightly cooler if I want that warm-to-cool contrast. Not dramatic, just enough to make it feel intentional. One thing I've started doing that's made a noticeable difference — dehazing. Just a little, like plus 10 to plus 20. Golden hour light can make distant landscapes look a bit flat and hazy, and a gentle dehaze brings back some definition without making everything look over-processed. The Bigger Thing I've Realized Honestly the biggest shift in my golden hour shooting wasn't any specific setting or filter. It was just going out more and being willing to come home with nothing usable. I had probably 15 or 16 outings that produced shots I would never post before I started getting ones I was actually happy with. And each bad session taught me something specific — one time it was exposure drift, one time it was filter choice, one time I just picked a terrible location. If you're in that phase where you keep seeing other people's golden hour drone shots and wondering why yours don't look like that, it's probably not your gear. It's just reps. Go fly, make notes on what went wrong, adjust, repeat. That's really all I've done. Anyway — hope some of this is useful. Drop a comment if you're shooting in D-Log M and want to talk editing workflows, I'm still refining mine and always interested in how other people are handling the grade.
  3. I want to write this up while it's still fresh because I feel like a lot of posts out there are either super technical (written for people who already know what a PID loop is) or they're just fluff. I'm going to try to be honest about what the first month of FPV actually felt like as someone coming from cinematic drones. Spoiler: it was humbling. What I Actually Bought I went back and forth forever on whether to build or buy bind-and-fly. Everyone online has strong opinions. I ended up going with a 5-inch BNF quad — specifically a Flywoo Explorer LR, which isn't really a freestyle quad but I wanted something that could handle a bit of both worlds while I figured out if I even liked this stuff enough to go deeper. For the radio I grabbed a RadioMaster Boxer with ExpressLRS, which basically everyone recommends right now and honestly it's been solid. Goggles are the DJI Goggles 2 because I already had a DJI ecosystem mindset and the digital image quality was something I didn't want to compromise on starting out. Total cost was more than I expected. Like noticeably more. I think people underestimate how fast it adds up when you factor in batteries (I bought six 4S 1300mAh lipos), a decent charger, props, a carrying case, and all the misc stuff. I probably spent close to $900 before I ever took off. The Simulator Phase — This Part is Not Optional Before my gear even arrived I downloaded Liftoff on Steam and started flying. I cannot stress enough how necessary this is. I flew the sim probably two hours a day for two weeks and I still crashed on my first real flight within about forty seconds. But those two weeks meant I at least understood the basic muscle memory — throttle management, how yaw feels, why you don't just let go of the sticks when something goes wrong. I was running the sim in Acro mode from day one on the recommendation of basically every FPV forum I read. Acro means no self-leveling. The quad does whatever you tell it to do and keeps doing it until you correct. It's terrifying in the sim and somehow more terrifying in real life. I kept switching to Angle mode in the sim when I got frustrated but I'm glad I forced myself back to Acro because that's where the actual skill is. If you're thinking about trying FPV, just get Liftoff or Velocidrone and spend real time in there. Not twenty minutes. Real time. Treat it like learning an instrument. First Real Flights — Field Time I drove out to an open field about twenty minutes from my house the first time. Had my spotter with me (my neighbor, who thought I was insane). Put the goggles on, armed the quad, gave it a little throttle and immediately flipped it into the grass. Props were fine. My dignity was not. Here's something nobody really told me: even with sim time, transitioning to real FPV feels different because the latency is different, the feel through the controller is different, and there's actual consequence. In the sim you just reset. In real life you're walking over to your quad and checking if you broke something. That psychological weight changes how you fly, at least at first. By the end of that first session I was doing rough circuits around the field at low altitude. Nothing fancy. Just trying to not crash and starting to feel where the throttle needed to be to maintain altitude. That felt like a genuine win. The Rates Thing — More Confusing Than I Expected One of the things I didn't fully appreciate going in was how much rates affect everything. Rates basically control how fast your quad rotates when you move the sticks. High rates means a small stick movement = aggressive rotation. Low rates is more forgiving but feels mushy for freestyle stuff. My quad came with some default rates loaded in Betaflight and I left them alone at first. Probably good advice for a beginner. But after a couple weeks I started messing with them. I went in through the Betaflight configurator and lowered my roll and pitch rates a little, and it genuinely helped me feel more in control. I'm still tweaking. I don't think I've found my rates yet. From what I've read this is just an ongoing thing — pilots adjust their rates as their flying style develops, which is kind of a cool concept honestly. What's Actually Hard About This The coordination required is different from anything I've done before. On a GPS drone you can let go of the sticks and it hovers. On an FPV quad in Acro you let go and it just... continues whatever it was doing until you crash or catch it. So you're always flying. There's no pause button. I'm also still struggling with spatial awareness in the goggles. There's this moment when you get disoriented — usually when the quad is coming back toward you — and your inputs feel backwards. I've read that this gets better with time and muscle memory. I believe it. But right now I still get that brief panic feeling when the quad turns around and suddenly left is right. Throttle management is the other big one. Keeping altitude consistent while turning and doing maneuvers requires constant tiny adjustments. I'm nowhere near clean on this yet. Where I'm At Now Roughly four weeks in. I can fly a consistent circuit, do slow banked turns without losing too much altitude, and I've started messing around with what I'd generously call split-S maneuvers. My crashes have slowed down a lot, mostly because I'm flying more conservatively while I build the foundation. I haven't tried any real freestyle moves yet — no rolls, no flips. I'm waiting until my basic control feels more automatic before I add complexity. Some people say just throw yourself into it. I'm not that person. I'm already planning to build a 3-inch freestyle quad this winter using parts I'll order slowly. I've been watching build videos and lurking on RCGroups and the Betaflight Discord. The community is pretty welcoming once you stop being afraid to ask basic questions. If you're coming from DJI or Autel and thinking about FPV — do it, but go in knowing it's genuinely a different skill set. It's not an upgrade from cinematic drones, it's a completely separate thing that happens to also involve flying something with a camera. Give yourself real time in the sim. Start in a big open field. Don't buy expensive props until you're crashing less. And enjoy the fact that even a bad session teaches you something. More updates coming as I get further along. I want to document the build when I start it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions ? Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.